The objectives of the On Farm Water Management Unit are:
- To plan, direct and implement on-farm water management and drainage techniques by providing sound technical advice to the farming sector.
- To assist farmers to improve their knowledge and income by the adaptation of suitable on farm irrigation systems through technology transfer.
- To promote sustainable use of land and water resources through appropriate water management techniques.
- To help farmers optimise the use of scarce water resources by helping them to improve their on-farm water use efficiency whilst improving productivity.
The Unit’s core functions include:
- On-farm irrigation system designs and irrigation schedules.
- Farm visits to do advisory work and/or collect field data.
- Providing advice on the design and installation of minor irrigation systems.
- Responding to request from farmers experiencing difficulties with their irrigation system or installing a new system.
- Irrigation system monitoring and recommendations.
- Managing activities at NIC’s demonstration plots at Hounslow and Braco, which are used for training farmers.
- Assisting with monitoring of water quality in the irrigation schemes.
- Inter-agency collaboration.